Monday 8 December 2008

Careers

Something that has always bothered me is what will I be when I grow up? From the age of 5 I always said that I wanted to be a vet, but by the age of 16 I had discovered that I simply did not have the patience to really get to grips with chemistry and after one chemistry A level class I began searching for a new possible career. It was around this time, when I was moving onto A levels that I found I had a certain ability for writing, I enjoyed it and thought that I could quite happily make my living writing. I began to write for the newly formed school magazine, and began looking for journalism courses.
My idea was to have a degree in journalism and one day move onto novel writing. Since I first picked up 'Harry Potter' at the age of 8 I loved reading, before Harry I hated to read. I had always lagged behind my class mates simply because those 'Ben ate an apple' books just were not interesting.
Also, I have never had a formal careers meeting. The only thing I can remember that was remotely career orientated was a meeting in a tiny office with a man I've never met before when I was in year 10. The general gist of the conversation was 'what interests you?' to which I replied 'sports, going out and reading'. His response was 'well keep up the PE and English and possibly you'll find a career involving the two'. How useless was that interview then? I already knew that and didn't need to miss part of my PE lesson to find out that tiny bit of enlightenment.
Therefore it can be said that I am still unsure of where my future lies, but it will involve sports and writing.

No comments: